Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Tulip Top... a great summer project!


Latest Finished Project... The Tulip Top

The most recent (as of writing this) project that I have finished was the Tulip Top from Stitch and Bitch Superstar Knits book. I really liked the shaping- and even more so I liked that the tops of the shoulders had a three needle bind off as a seam – I hate seaming, which is odd, as I like sewing in general.

I had a skirt (or three) that I needed a top to match, so I chose a darker, but not quite burnt, shade for orange, with a dark purple trim in the Elizabeth Lavold Silky Wool. I really enjoyed working with this particular yarn – had just enough “squish” to it, yet the finished project isn't heavy or bulky.

One major modification that I made to this top was that I didn't work the pattern stitch. Because two of the skirts I was looking to match had a pattern to them, I didn't want anything to compete with that – as my Nip/Tuck top is currently doing with a patterned skirt. I felt that the overall wear-ability of the top would be increased without the novelty stitch. So, I worked it strictly in a stockinette. I did have to frog this top once and begin anew, as I'm a twitcake and cast on the wrong number of stitches. 72 is not the same as 75 – who knew?

When the knitting and the iCord (tee hee... let's turn everything into an Apple product!) was complete, it was small. Like, really small – and I'm a small person. I was frightened... I really was surprised at how much the blocking stretched out this yarn. Not quite doubled in size, but pretty close. It was rather impressive. I'm very happy with the finished product, and now I'm just waiting for the weather to FINALLY turn around so that I can wear it!


I would indeed make this project again. In fact, I have some Aimee in blue sitting around... hmmmm.

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty, Love the colors on you. I have been eyeing the top, from the book, for myself. I like the plain/no pattern stitch of your top much better. :)

    ReplyDelete

I want to read your comments... all of them, so that is why I like to moderate! :) Thanks for understanding!